Do I have to learn French in order to study in France?

Not necessarily. More and more programmes, especially at the postgraduate level, are taught in English. However, if you want to study a Bachelor’s degree, the majority of the programmes are taught in French, especially in the public universities. Some Grandes écoles and specialized schools have programmes taught entirely in English from the undergraduate level, particularly in business and engineering.
It is also highly recommended to have a basic knowledge of French, even if you study in an English programme, as it will help you a lot in your daily life.

Can I find courses and programmes taught in English in France?

Yes, you can find programmes taught in English, mostly at the postgraduate level, from Master’s degree and onwards. Still, the majority of higher education programmes are taught in French. For more information, you can contact us, or have a look at Campus France’s website

Where can I learn French in Malaysia?

Many options are available, from private lessons to language centres, in Malaysia or in France.
In Malaysia, the Alliance Française offers high quality French courses, from beginner to advance learners in its two centres in Kuala Lumpur and Penang. It is also the official examination centre for French language certifications (DELF/DALF, TCF/TEC) required to enter French programmes. Besides the language classes, Alliance Française organizes cultural events all throughout the year.

More information on their websites:
Alliance Française de Kuala Lumpur
Alliance Française de Penang

How can I study French in France?

There are a variety of institutions in France that provide French courses for non-native speakers, including Alliance Française. Language centres provide a large offering of courses that can easily adapt to every student’s need, from short or long stay, intensive to semi-intensive classes, etc.
You can also learn French language and civilization at university for one semester or one year by attending a Diplôme Universitaire, or D.U. in French language. Most universities hosting a Language Department offer these programmes for non-native speakers who want to learn French language and culture, for personal or professional reasons. These programmes are organized by levels, following the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Not all universities offer every level, so make sure you check on the institution’s website before applying.

Qualité FLE certification

Qualité FLE is a quality certification issued by the Ministry for National Education, Higher Education and Research, the Ministry for Culture and Communication and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and International Development to recognize and promote French language centres that provide quality training and services. Over a hundred language centres across France have received this certification. Find the one that fits your needs here.

Immersion France
Looking for a short programme or a summer course to learn French language and culture? Download the mobile application Immersion France, and browse through a directory of programmes!

For Android


Note that the French Embassy does not provide grants or scholarships for these programmes, so you have to personally finance all the expenses. Those institutions do not provide national degrees, only language certificates.

What is the difference between the DELF/DALF and the TCF?

The DELF/DALF is French language certificates, testing candidates on their comprehension, expression, interaction and mediation skills in French. Six levels are designed, from beginner to advanced level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2). A grade of at least 50/100 is required to be awarded the DELF/DALF. The DELF and DALF are valid for life.
The TCF and TCF for DAP are French language tests. They assess the student’s level of French for professional, personal or academic purposes. Contrary to the DELF and DALF, where you sit for a specific level, TCF is a language placement test. Upon completion of the test, candidates are positioned on the same six-level scale.
The TCF for DAP is language test required by French universities within the framework of the Demande d’Admission Préalable, or DAP. It is addressed to students that wish to apply to first year of Bachelor in public universities, and that do not have their DELF B2.
TCF and TCF DAP are only valid for a period of two years from the date the test is taken. The expiration date is indicated on the candidate’s certificate.
All of this language tests receive the recognition enjoyed by all official qualifications awarded by the French Ministry of Education. You can train and sit for the tests at Alliance Française.

How can I get a scholarship?

If you study in France within a partnership between France and Malaysia, you can get a scholarship from the Malaysian Higher Education Ministry through your Malaysian university.
Malaysian Government provides scholarships to SPM leavers in the field of Engineering, Business Management and French Language. Call for application opens right after the SPM results.

Eiffel Merit scholarship
This scholarship is designed for top-ranking foreign students at the Master’s level or enrolled in a joint PhD programme. Candidates should first apply to the institution that will then suggest the student as a potential recipient to the scholarship. The Eiffel Scholarship programme follows a strict agenda, more information can be found here.

Major Merit scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to non-French students of Lycées Français, holder of a French baccalauréat.

Charcot programme fellowship
Offers one-year training fellowships for clinical research for research professors (or future research professors).

Some private institutions also offer scholarships. For more information, please contact us.

For more information on existing scholarships, you can browse on Campus France’s grant search engine’s Campus Bourses.

What is the cost of living in France?

The cost of living is higher in France than it is in Malaysia but tuition fees for public universities are very affordable and students can also enjoy many discounts (cinema, restaurants, museums, etc.). The average monthly budget is around €1,000 in Paris, and €800 in the rest of France. For more information, read our section on costs of living online, or on our guidebook Life in France.

How do I get a student visa for France?

For Malaysian citizens, a visa is required if you come to France for any other purposes than tourism, or if you plan to stay more than three months (90 days).

You need to apply for the long-stay student visa at the Consular section of the French Embassy in your country of residence before entering France. Note that it is not possible to enter the territory as a tourist and then obtain a student visa in France.

You can start your visa application process upon receipt of an offer letter from a French institution of higher education. This document attests that you will be studying in France, and that you will have to apply for a student visa.

In order to submit your visa application, you must make an appointment with the French Consulate through the Embassy of France’s website. You will not be received if you haven’t booked an appointment. Appointments can be made here.

Before your appointment, make sure that you have gathered all the required documents, as incomplete application will not be processed.

Required documents are as follow:
• A passport valid for the duration of the stay (or at least valid for one year)
• 2 copies of the long-stay visa application form
• The OFFI form
• 2 passport pictures
• The letter of acceptance from the French university
• A cover letter, or personal statement explaining your reasons for studying in France
• The original and 2 copies of your last degree / diploma + transcripts
• A proof of accommodation (hotel booking, rental agreement, letter from a friend or family hosting you)
• A proof of your financial resources (letter of scholarship, bank statements from you or your sponsor, parents or family). You need to prove that you can afford to live in France, and that you have a minimum of €615 per month for the duration of your stay.

All documents and Schengen visa photo requirement can be found on the Embassy of France’s website.

Application fees for long-stay student visa cost €99 converted to Malaysian Ringgit to be paid in cash when submitting your files.

You can apply for visa maximum 90 days prior to your departure. Please register early to make sure you can get an appointment on time. Once your application has successfully been submitted, it takes approximately 2-3 weeks for it to be processed. Keep all documents with you when you travel as the customs at the airport can ask for them when you enter French territory.

Once in France, you will need to get your long-stay visa approved to a residence permit, or Carte de Séjour. Make sure you keep a copy of all documents submitted during your visa application, as they will be asked when in France. Your university in France will be able to assist you in your administrative procedures.

Can I enter France as tourist and then get a student visa?

No, you cannot change your type of visa once you are in France. If you enter as a tourist and wish to further your studies in France, you will have to come back to Malaysia and apply for a student visa. It is best to apply for a long-stay student visa before travelling to France.

Can I study in France with SPM/O-Level?

The French system does not have any equivalent for the SPM/O-Level qualification. In order to enter the French higher education system, students must have completed higher secondary school and have the equivalent of the French Baccalauréat. A-level qualifications, STPM, International Baccalaureate, Matriculation and Foundation are considered equivalent to this exam and give students access to the French higher education system.

Can I study in France with a Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)?

Although not recognized by the Government, the UEC has been accepted by other countries such as Australia or the United Kingdom. Applications to French institutions of higher education will be processed on a case-to-case basis. Please get in touch with us for more information.

What are the requirements to study in France?

The minimum requirement to enter in first year of university is the equivalent of the French Baccalauréat: A-level, STPM, International Baccalaureate, Matriculation and Foundation, etc.
For French-taught programmes, universities require a language certificate proving that the student has reached at least level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Accepted language certificate are the DELF, DALF and TCF. This might not apply to students that already graduated from a French-taught programme.
For English-taught programmes, institutions are most likely to ask for a valid IELTS/TOEFL.
Every university has its own language requirements, make sure you verify the language requirement on the institution’s website.
Good transcripts and a good command of French are the main criteria to be accepted in a French university. Motivation is also taken into consideration.
To enter a Grande Ecole, you have to sit for an entrance exam. Parallel admissions exist for foreign students to enter those schools at different levels (in second or fourth year). Every Grande Ecole has its own exam and requirements.

Is it easy to find a job in Malaysia after studying in France?

French degrees are recognised in Malaysia and graduates are very valuable for companies in Malaysia, especially for French companies operating in Malaysia. These graduates usually speak English and French; and are well prepared to the business world thanks to onsite training and internship as part of their programmes.
Upon their return to Malaysia, graduates can count on the Alumni network to find a job in prestigious companies, French and Malaysian, or in the administration: Technip, Alcatel -Lucent, Citroën, HSBC, Eurocopter, French Embassy, Forestry Department, Malaysian universities, Ministry of Education and so on.
Open vacancies in French companies are advertised on France Alumni Malaysia’s website. Create your account, and connect with your fellow Alumni!

Where can I find more information about studies in France?

You can find a lot of information on our website, on Campus France website (both in French and in English) as well as on our guidebooks Study in France and Life in France. Should you need any further information or assistance on your desire to study in France, do not hesitate to set up an appointment with one of our consultants! We also participate to education fairs across the country, make sure you follow our social media pages to know more about our upcoming activities!

Facebook: Malaysia France University Centre (MFUC)
Instagram @malaysia_france_uni_centre

When should I apply to study at a university in France?

There is only one intake per year in France, in September or October of each year. Every university is responsible for its own application procedures and it is usually open from February to April. Nowadays, most of the applications are handled online, so make sure you follow the deadlines. Necessary information is available on the university’s website.

Applying to a first year of Bachelor
Students applying to first year at university must submit a specific application procedure called Demande d’Admission Préalable (Preliminary Admission Request), also known as DAP. Students should gather all required documents and submit their applications to Malaysia-France University Centre, or the Embassy of France in Malaysia.

DAP follows a very strict agenda, and closes every year on 22nd January (for the upcoming September intake).